The Maths Department consists of many dedicated teachers who have worked in the school over the past 30 years.
Maths is offered to pupils at all levels, Honours, Ordinary, Foundation and also as an LCA module.
There have been many great Mathematicians that have come through the school.
It is intended that Mathematics education in the school should:
- Contribute to the personal development of the pupil.
- Help to provide the pupils with the mathematical knowledge to advance their education for life and work, and to provide the skills and understanding of the subject in order to achieve this aim.
Our objectives are:
- Pupils should be able to recall basic facts
- They should be equipped with the competencies needed for mathematical activities
- They should have an overall picture of mathematics as a system that makes sense
- They should be able to apply their knowledge
- The pupils should be able to analyse information, including information presented in unfamiliar contexts.
- They should be able to create mathematics for themselves
- They should have developed the necessary psychomotor skills to attain the above objectives.
- They should be able to communicate mathematics, both verbally and in writing.
- They should appreciate mathematics
- They should be aware of the history of mathematics.
In 1st year pupils are taught in mixed ability settings. In 2nd Year pupils are streamed into Honours or Ordinary level. In 5th Year pupils opt for Honours or Ordinary level in their leaving certificate.
To view the syllabus click on the link to the project maths website : www.projectmaths.ie - There are many resources available for Maths on the project maths website.
MathsNet an independent educational website providing free mathematics resources to the education community. Its aim is to offer truly interactive resources that are both wide and deep in terms of their applicability and usefulness
is a US based question and answer service for math students and their teachers. A searchable archive is available by level and topic, as well as summaries of Frequently Asked Questions.
The Maths Forum Get Maths answers from those at Swarthmore College.
Ask Dr. Math is a US based question and answer service for math students and their teachers. A searchable archive is available by level and topic, as well as summaries of Frequently Asked Questions.
Hard maths problems. Why not print some out and test your Maths teacher?
Mega-Maths maths research from the Los Alamos National Laboratory.
Maths Symbols Chronicles the use of Maths symbols.
David Joyce Algebra, Calculus and Logic tutorials on this page.
Formulae 1 is a Higher Leaving Certificate Mathematics supplement text book. Teachers can request a free evaluation copy.
Free Online Interactive Math Tutorial. For middle-school age students, parents, educators. Pre-algebra level - free access requires no registration.
Good resources in selected topics